Frequently asked questions


How do I register with UQ Rentals?

Current Students: Please use your UQ Login to register

Future Students: Once you have accepted your offer, you will be issued with a UQ Login which will allow you to register as a current student.

If you are an international student and have not yet been issued with a UQ Login, please register here and email your Confirmation of Enrolment document to The UQ Accommodation team will then approve your access to UQ Rentals.

UQ Staff: please use your UQ Login to register.

Does UQ check the property, the landlord or the people living at the property?

No - UQ Accommodation Services do not check any properties listed in the UQ Rentals database.

UQ Rentals is offered as a resource to assist students finding accommodation only. Any lease or other housing arrangement entered into are at the discretion of the student and the accommodation provider. It is vital that you inspect any property you are considering renting before you move in or sign any agreements.

Can I pre-book accommodation before I arrive in Brisbane?

If you want to pre-book your accommodation before you arrive, make sure you book through a Residental College or one of UQ Approved Providers:

We strongly recommend that private rental accommodation found on UQ Rentals is only arranged once you reach Brisbane. There are a number of reasons for this recommendation:

  • UQ does not inspect the premises advertised on the UQ Rentals Online database or Real Estate Agent websites, so there is no way to be sure that the details and descriptions provided are accurate.
  • There are laws which govern renting in Brisbane. A lease or tenancy agreement must be signed which legally commits tenants to pay rent at a property for an agreed length of time (usually a 6 month minimum).
  • Tenants are required to inspect rental properties very carefully before making a commitment. There is no way to move into a rental property on a trial basis.
  • For share accommodation, it is strongly advisable not to move into any property before you have met the current tenants with whom you will be sharing. Due to the need to sign leases, it is very difficult for people to simply move out of rental accommodation if they find that they are incompatible with the other residents.
  • Public transport options can be very difficult to assess from overseas.

How do I find accessible housing?

UQ Rentals has badged housing identified by Landlords/Providers as an accessible property, with the following:

Please note that these properties have not been inspected or assessed by UQ staff and we recommend that you visit the property to ensure the facilities meet your needs.

Providers have been directed to the Queensland Government webpage Finding an accessible property to rent or buy for information on accessible features.

Will I need to find temporary accommodation while I look for permanent housing?

Finding a permanent place to live takes time. You need to consider the properties you view carefully - after all this is where you will be living while you undertake your studies. Generally, students who feel rushed or pressured are the ones who have problems with their accommodation later on because they take one of the first properties they inspect. So that you can take your time in finding a place to live, we suggest that you organise some temporary accommodation so that you can search for long-term accommodation.

What is the usual length of a lease?

Usually 6 or 12 months. A lease is a legally binding document and the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act will apply. As breaking a lease can be very costly, we recommend that you decide, before signing a lease, if you are confident of staying in the property for the duration of the lease.

Why are listings still displayed when the provider has told me the vacancy has been rented?

Providers sometimes forget to let us know their vacancy is gone. Or maybe the property has just been rented, and they haven't had a chance to tell us. If you come across one of these listings, please let us the Accommodation Office know.

How much should I pay for rent?

Rents are generally more expensive for properties closer to campus and less expensive further away. If you do choose to live further away then you need to ensure that you can travel to campus easily. If you are planning on using public transport, you can use the TransLink Journey Planner website to help you figure out how to get from any property to campus. The TransLink Journey Planner is available at:

The amount you can afford will depend on the amount of income you have. A general budgeting rule of thumb is that you spend no more than 30-50 % of your income per week on rent as you may find it too difficult to cover other living expenses. However, this is a guide only.

I have never rented a property before. How can I get information about what to look for?

The Residential Tenancies Authority has many useful resources specifically designed for students including how to choose a rental property, legal issues associated with renting and ending a tenancy.

What is included in furnished accommodation?

Typically, furnished rooms for students will include a bed, desk, chair, lamp and wardrobe. Students should be aware that if they want to lease a furnished room, the contents of the room (ie the furnishings) must be written in the General Tenancy Agreement.

If I have problems with the landlord, real estate agent or other members of the household what can I do?

UQ Accommodation - Student Services
Accommodation Services also offers tenancy advice throughout the year. You are welcome to speak to one of the UQ Accommodation officers by booking an appointment online - book an appointment online.

Alternatively, you can contact the Tenants' Union Queensland or the Residential Tenancies Authority's Dispute Resolution.

Tenants' Union of Queensland

Tenants’ Union of Queensland
28 Robertson Street
Fortitude Valley 4006

Statewide Tenancy Advice Phone: 1300 744 263
Advice Hours: 9am – 4pm Mon, Thurs, Fri & 9am – 7pm Tues & Wed


Residential Tenancies Authority

Level 23
179 Turbot Street
Brisbane Queensland

Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm
We are closed on Christmas day, Boxing day and New Year's day as well as all public holidays.

Calling within Australia: 1300 366 311
Calling outside of Australia: +61 7 3046 5400